November 25, 2013
Plymouth Meeting, PA - November 19, 2013 - Accolade, Inc., an innovative consumer services company dedicated to helping individuals and families get the right care the first time, today announced the formation of a Medical Advisory Board to help guide clinical best practices and continual quality improvement.
The board, made up of seven physicians selected for their multidisciplinary expertise, thought leadership and diverse geographic representation, also will help Accolade build its knowledge base of the best healthcare providers across the country — including the top medical centers and best physicians for treating complex conditions and performing complex procedures.
“They'll help us pinpoint the practitioners who are the best in their field in all areas of the country, the doctors they'd recommend for their own families,” explains Accolade Chief Medical Officer, Alan Spiro, MD. “We are excited to have this prestigious group guiding us and challenging us to get better and better in serving our clients.”
Led by Dr. Spiro, the board includes:
- Joseph R. Betancourt, MD, MPH, is director of the Disparities Solutions Center, director of Multicultural Education for Massachusetts General Hospital, associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School, and co-founder of Quality Interactions, Inc.
- Samuel Hammerman, MD, MMM, FCCP, is senior vice president and chief medical officer for Select Medical; in his current role, he oversees the company's division of 110 long-term acute care hospitals. He is also an adjunct clinical assistant professor at Temple University School of Medicine and Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine.
- Larry Kaiser, MD, FACS, is CEO of the Temple University Health System, senior executive vice president for the Health Sciences, and dean of Temple University School of Medicine.
- Bruce Korf, MD, PhD, is the Wayne H. and Sara Crews Finley Professor of Medical Genetics, chair of the Department of Genetics, and director of the Heflin Center for Genomic Sciences at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
- Andrew Lasher, MD, is chief medical officer of Aspire Healthcare, a home- and outpatient-based palliative care company based in Nashville.
- Adam Perlman, MD, MPH, FACP, is the associate vice president for Health and Wellness for the Duke University Health System and executive director of Duke Integrative Medicine, contributing to the work of healthcare transformation within and beyond the university system.
- Saul Weiner, MD, is professor of medicine, pediatrics and medical education and vice provost of planning and programs at the University of Illinois at Chicago. He is also deputy director of the Veterans Affairs (VA) Center of Innovation for Complex Chronic Healthcare, funded by the VA's Division of Health Services Research & Development.
The board's first quarterly meeting was held Nov. 18-19 at the company's headquarters in Plymouth Meeting, Pa.
Accolade, Inc. is an innovative consumer services company dedicated to improving the healthcare experience and helping individuals get the right care the first time. By taking the time to build relationships with the individuals we serve, Accolade Personal Health Assistants® are able to more effectively engage them as they navigate the complex world of healthcare and health benefits. Our Health Assistants take time to understand the many emotional, financial, social and logistical factors that influence individuals' decisions, which, in turn, helps empower people to make the healthcare decisions that are best for them.
Founded in 2007 and headquartered in Plymouth Meeting, Pa., Accolade has nearly 500 employees serving some of the nation's largest self-insured employers. The company has been recognized as one of the nation's most promising companies by Forbes magazine, the fastest-growing private healthcare company by Inc. 500, and the No. 1 mid-sized company by Top Workplaces in Philadelphia. For more information, visit www.accoladeinc.com.